• Cuba

Travel information about CubaUmriss der Insel Kuba mit der kubanischen Flagge

Cuba is the main island of the Greater Antilles as well as the largest island of the Caribbean. The country is a famous tourism destination due to its pleasent climate, nice cities such as Varadero, and its fascinating capital Havanna. Before you’re heading out on your adventure with us, we would like to provide you with some basic knowledge on the country you’re travelling to and answer the questions we are asked most often.

Travel information about CubaUmriss der Insel Kuba mit der kubanischen Flagge

Cuba is the main island of the Greater Antilles as well as the largest island of the Caribbean. The country is a famous tourism destination due to its pleasent climate, nice cities such as Varadero, and its fascinating capital Havanna. Before you’re heading out on your adventure with us, we would like to provide you with some basic knowledge on the country you’re travelling to and answer the questions we are asked most often.

What do I need to enter Cuba?

To enter the country as a German citizen, you need a tourist card (A1 visa), which is valid for 30 days after the commencement of your trip. Depending on where you apply for the visa, it can be issued immediately or take a few weeks to be issued. Furthermore, a fee of at least 25,00 € is to be paid for each visa that has been issued, depending on where you apply for it. Your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after your stay. You are also obliged to be able to proof that you concluded a travel health insurance that must be valid for your entire duration of stay before the commencement of your trip. Please note: different regulations can apply if entering Cuba from the US or if you are not a German citizen!

Which vaccinations do I need to be allowed to enter Cuba?

If you enter Cuba directly from Germany, no compulsory vaccinations are required. Still, we recommend that you check whether all standard vaccinations according to the vaccination calendar of the Robert Koch Institute are still valid and refresh them if necessary. We also recommend consulting a travel or tropical medicine specialist.

Which currency is being used in Cuba? When and where can I exchange my money?

Cuba has the Cuban Peso (CUP) as its official currency, the Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC) was abolished in 2021. Tourists use since then also exclusively the CUP. You can exchange Euros into CUP after your arrival in Cuba, whether you have Euros or USD with you is meanwhile hardly a difference. In addition, Visa and MasterCard / Eurocard credit cards are often accepted in Cuba, unless issued by an American bank. American Express credit cards are not accepted! You can change cash at the airport, in hotels and in exchange offices without problems at the current rate, the exchange on the street may seem more attractive, but is punishable and also dangerous.

Is there a time difference between Cuba and Germany?

Cuba is 6 hours (summer time, 5 hours between March and October) behind Germany in terms of time differences.

Which language is Cuba's official language?

Spanish is Cuba's official language, however especially in high-frequented touristic areas the people often also speak English and sometimes even German.

What is the climate in Cuba like and when is the best time to travel through Cuba on a motorbike?

Thanks to its subtropcial climate, it's pleasently warm in Cuba all year round, with temperatures ranging from 37 °C in summer to 20 °C in winter. 

How can I travel to Cuba the easiest?

All our tours start in Havanna (HAV), which is easily reachable by plane from Germany. Alternatively, you can fly to Varadero (VRA) or Holguín (HOG). We would be happy to assist you in booking your flight and / or organizing your transfer from the airport!

How can I book a motorbike tour through Croatia and which dates are available?

You can find all of our tour dates on our tour sites. If none of our proposed dates match your needs however, simply fill out our contact form or shoot us an e-mail telling us how many riders you will be travelling with, what level you are riding at und when you would like to travel and we will be more than happy to send you an individual offer after checking our current availabilities! If you would like to book further ammenities such as a couple of extra days to go swimming or to explore the country on your own, just let us know - the more information we receive, the better and quicker we can organize your next motorbike tour for you and the earlier you can lay back and relax, looking forward to travelling to Croatia!

How can I pay for my tour?

After your booking, you can pay for your tour via bank transfer, the information that you need to do so will be mentioned on your invoice. An initial deposit payment amounting to 20% of the total tour price must be paid immediately after receiving the invoice, the rest of the payment is due 30 days before your scheduled departure. Exceptions can be made if flight bookings have to be paid in total in advance, which depends on the chosen flight and airline.

Can I book a motorbike tour through Cuba as a beginner?

Just because you are new to riding motorbikes, it doesn't mean that you cannot book one of our motorbike tours! Simply let us know your level of riding and we will do our best to match you with other riders that are on the same page as you are so that you do not have to worry about the trails being too tough (or too easy, for that matter)! After all, Cuba has got many travel enduro trails for beginners, intermediate riders and experts which we would love to show you!

How old do I have to be to participate in one of the tours? Do I need a driver's license?

To be able to join our travel enduro tours by riding your motorbike through Cuba, you must be at least 18 years old. Furthermore, you need a valid motorcycle license. An international license is not required.

If you'd like to join our tour as a pillion or non-rider, however, there is no minimium age, as long as children and teenagers under the age of 18 are accompanied by a legal representative.

Can I rent a motorbike for the duration of the tour?

Yes, on all of our motorcycle tours, the rent of a motorbike is already included in the price! Usually, we use the BMW F 700 GS models.

Can I rent a motorbike without booking a tour?

Unfortunately right now, it is not possible to rent one of our travel enduro motorbikes without booking a tour.

I would like to participate in the tour with my own motorbike - what do I need to consider?

If you would like to, of course you can also ride the tour on your own motorbike. To do so, your travel enduro motorbike should be legally registered, in a generally good state and equipped with proper enduro tires. If you are not sure whether or not your bike is suitable to ride the tour, write us an e-mail, call us or text us on WhatsApp, Facebook or Instagram and we will be happy to assist you!

What happens if my motorbike breaks down during our tour?

If a part of your motorbike breaks during our tour, our guide will try to fix it for you. Should this not be possible on our way, we will try to provide you with a replacement motorbike so that you can continue your tour as if nothing had happened.

What kind of safety gear do I need to wear during the tour? Can I rent it?

For your own safety, we require you to wear a helmet, gloves, a motorcycle jacket or jersey and durable motorcycle boots while riding. Unfortunately, as of right now, you cannot rent the protectional gear from us but have to bring your own. The only piece of gear that you can rent from us is a helmet.

What should I bring in addition to my safety gear?

Besides of the safety gear mentioned above, we recommend bringing the following items to your motorbike tour:

  • A hydration pack or a normal, small backpack (incl. a rain cover)
  • A rain coat that can also be worn while riding your motorbike
  • Leisure clothing: t-shirts, hoodies, shorts, jeans, comfortable shoes, swimwear, underwear, socks
  • Towels, cosmetic products and personal hygiene products
  • Personal medicine as well as a first-aid kit
  • Sunscreen and sunglasses
  • Passport, visa (if needed), driver's license, your wallet

I would like to add some additional days to my tour, would that be possible?

Cuba is a beautiful country that surely has a lot more to offer than we can cover in just a couple of days of riding. Thus, we would be more than happy to assist you in booking some additional nights, whether you would just like to spend some more days at the beach or you would like to enjoy some more action with one of our guides!

Which hotels will we stay in during our tour through Cuba?

During our tour, depending on your booking option we will stay in good local guesthouses and/or hotels that we have only had positive experiences with so far.

Which insurances should I conclude before my trip to Cuba?

We advice you, as for any trip, to conclude a travel health insurance before your tour. When in Cuba, you should also be careful about drinking tap water as well as when consuming uncooked food.

What happens if the weather gets bad during my tour?

Riding motorbikes is an outdoor sport, which is why the weather is always a risk factor. Should the weather be bad, our guides will determine whether they think that we can ride the tour anyways or not and if any changes to the routing must be made so that you can enjoy a safe adventure. Should our guides decide that going for a ride is too dangerous given the current situation, we will cover the kilometers in our support vehicle and try to adhere to the rest of the program as good as possible.

What happens if I cannot participate in the motorbike tour I booked?

You can find all information regarding the cancellation of your booking in our terms and conditions.

What else should I consider?

Now, that you have got a general overview of what to expect on your trip to Cuba, you can take a look at the website of the British government to get even more information. We at Viaduro care for your safety, and therefore we would like to provide you with some information that enables you to travel safely. However, we can always only assume which information is important to the average traveler, so you might as well look for more information regarding your specific needs elsewhere (for example but not exclusively on the site of the German ministry of foreign affairs or the British government). Although we are regularly updating this information, it might also happen that not everything is up to date as frequent changes can always take place, thus, all information provided is not legally binding. 

One last advice, please always make sure to listen to our guides! We can guarantee you that the only thing they want you to do - except having fun of course - is to be safe, and they are the ones that know this country best and that have the best overview of the ongoing situation. With that being said, you are now ready to read through the actual travel information. Enjoy your trip!

- Last update: 18.11.20 -

     Follow us on ...

facebook instagram twitter

Reservation Hotline

whatsapp Call Viaduro

For reservations and any
questions, contact us at
+49 2248 9150609

Stay up to date